Frequently Asked Questions

Application and Admissions

Q: What is the application fee for this program?
A: The standard UCLA graduate program application fee is $155.

Q: Do I need to have a computer science / data science background to apply?
A: No. Strong applicants will have a background in STEM, including biological and health sciences.

Q: I submitted my application. When will I find out whether I have been admitted?
A: Applications are actively being reviewed on a rolling basis. The length of time it will take to release the admissions decision will depend on several factors, including the completeness of the application (transcripts, TOEFL/IELTS scores, Letter of Recommendation, etc.)

Q: Where do I submit my official transcripts after I’ve been accepted?
A: Official transcripts must be sent directly by your institution to or to the following address:

UCLA Fielding School of Public Health
c/o Michelle Garcia
650 Charles E. Young Drive S., Room 16-068
Los Angeles, CA 90095

Q: I am an international student. Can I be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if my university’s classes are all in English?
A: In order to be exempted from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement, not only must classes be conducted in English, but English must ALSO be the language of daily life in the country you are taking classes. At least two years of your undergraduate study must meet these requirements in order for you to be exempt.

Q: I just ordered my official test score to UCLA, but my application still says “Awaiting,” when will it be received?
A: IELTS, TOEFL, and GRE scores take time to link to your application. This process is not instant. Please wait at least 3 weeks before reaching out to us. If you would like to send physical copies of your test scores, please use the following address:

UCLA Fielding School of Public Health
Box 951772, Suite 16-068 CHS
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1772

Q: I was rejected by the MDSH program, am I able to request feedback regarding my application?
A: We acknowledge the effort required to submit an application to our program and thank each applicant for their attention to creating a high-quality submission. Due to the volume of applications, we do not provide individual feedback on the quality of applicants nor provide suggestions on how to strengthen future applications. We do, however, encourage you to strengthen your application and apply again in the future.

International Students

Q: What type of Visa can international students receive?
A: Graduate students taking at least 8 credit hours in Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters are considered full-time for visa reporting purposes.

Q: Are international students in this program eligible for OPT?
A: Yes. Students also qualify for the STEM OPT extension.

Q: What are the entry requirements for international students?
A: International students must meet the same requirements as domestic students. In addition, you may be required to certify proficiency in English. Learn more here.

Q: Do international students need to obtain a score of 87 on TOEFL?
A: If English is not your first language, and you do not hold a bachelor’s or higher degree from an Anglophone country, you will need to certify your proficiency in English by receiving the minimum overall band score or above on TOEFL or IELTS. This is a mandatory UCLA policy. Learn more here.

Q: Can the home edition of TOEFL be used when applying for this program?
A: For applicants for Fall 2023 enrollment, yes. For subsequent application cycles, TOEFL iBT Home Edition and IELTS Indicator test scores received prior to June 10, 2022 can count towards UCLA minimum admission requirements for graduate degree programs. Test scores for the TOEFL iBT or IELTS Indicator exam received beyond this date cannot be considered as alternatives to the TOEFL or IELTS Academic required to meet current English language requirements.

Q: What official documents do I need to send from my undergraduate institution?
A: The documents required depends on your home country. Please reach out to us if you are unsure what documents you need to provide in your application. For applicants graduating from Universities in China, the following documents are required: Transcript, Degree Certificate, and Diploma. All three documents must be provided in both Chinese and English. In your application, you may upload unofficial copies of these documents. Once you are admitted, these documents must be sent directly by your University’s Registrar Office or via Parchment to

Academics and Student Life

Q: Is it possible to enroll in this program at the same as another UCLA degree program?
A: Taking two UCLA degree programs at the same time is called mixed enrollment. Because MDSH is a new degree program, it is not yet set up for this. We hope to allow mixed enrollment with MDSH in the 2024-2025 academic year.

Q: Can students enrolled in this program also take other non-MDSH courses at UCLA?
A: As of the 2023-2024 academic year, no. We hope to expand MDSH students’ eligibility for other courses in the future.

Q: If I have a recent MPH degree from UCLA, can some of the classes be waived?
A: At the moment, no. In the future, we hope to allow mixed enrollment with the MDSH, which may allow for waiving certain classes.

Q: Upon degree completion, will the transcript or degree state that the program was completed in hybrid mode, or part-time?
A: No. Neither the transcript nor Degree will mention the hybrid course mode. The MDSH program is considered a full-time program for F-1 Visa purposes, however, domestic students are welcome to take the program part-time. Transcripts will reflect each student’s actual course enrollment per quarter.

Q: Can MDSH students live in the University dormitories?
A: Yes, although there may be a waiting list.

Q: What are the computer requirements for MDSH courses?
A: For the MDSH coursework, computers with a minimum of 32GB RAM and 1 TB hard disk suffice.


Q: Are UCLA employees eligible for a discount on tuition?
A: Since MDSH is a self-supporting graduate professional degree program, unfortunately, students are not eligible for employee discounts on tuition/fees.